New business setup process
If you are setting up a new business in TN there are some things you need to do in order to be registered with the state and municipalities. Different businesses have different requirements, but the steps below are the minimum requirements for most businesses:
Here is a good checklist.
- Apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS: IRS.gov EIN Site
- Register with the TN Secretary of State. You must also file annual reports. Here is the link: TN.gov ecommerce
- Register with the TN Dept. of Revenue (Franchise & Excise, Sales & Use, City & County taxes): TN Dept of Revenue
- Obtain a business license with your local county and/or municipality. See partial list below.
- Register with the TN Dept. of Labor & Workforce Develoment for State Unemployment Tax (if you will have employees): TN DOL LB-0441.pdf
More Questions? We’d love to talk with you.
(You’ll probably get some good advice without having to spend a dime)